Information about our print materials.
On Level 2 of the University Library, adjacent to the information desk, you will find our ever-expanding print collection. This currently includes:
- About 15,000 print books, available around-the-clock for self-checkout and return.
- Key general and science reference books from leading societies and publishers.
- Reference copies of all textbooks used for KAUST courses.
Adjacent to the café, also on Level 2, you can browse:
- A special interest collection of travel books.
- A core selection of print science journals and popular magazines.
- A selection of English and Arabic print newspapers.
Guidelines on Retention of Printed Periodicals
In general the library disposes of back issues after current demand has tapered off. Following are guidelines for retention/disposal of back issues:
- Back issues of newspapers will be retained on the public display shelves for two weeks from receipt and then sent to recycling.
- In general, printed magazines and journal issues will be retained on the public shelves for up to six months (subject to available space) and then recycled.
At the discretion of library staff, selected directory issues of subscribed periodicals will be retained on the public shelf for two years before recycling (e.g., US News college/university directories, Business Opportunities Handbook).
Upon request, and at the discretion of University Library management, back issues of periodicals that are ready for disposal may be transferred to other KAUST units or individuals for appropriate purposes. It is the responsibility of the receiving unit to pick up and transfer such materials.