Code of conduct
The University Library exists to support research and academic missions of KAUST. We are open to all community members without compromising this focus. KAUST sponsored events occur periodically in the Library; prior notice will be provided and efforts made to minimize disturbance.
Purpose of the Code
The purpose of this code is to maintain a welcoming and pleasant library space conducive to study and research, whilst protecting the health and safety of patrons, and preserving materials, equipment and facilities. Appropriate library conduct prioritizes the pursuit of research and study by encouraging mutual respect for the rights of other users.
- Follow all library rules posted in the form of signs in the different areas of the Library and on our website.
- Keep unnecessary noise and computer audio device volumes to a minimum; observe silence in the Library areas designated as Quiet Study Areas.
- Study rooms are provided for group discussions. Demand is high; please vacate these rooms if you are leaving the building for an extended period.
- Talking on mobile phones in Quiet Study Areas is strictly prohibited. Please ensure mobiles phones are silent.
- Personal items such as bags and notebooks should not be left unattended or in study rooms for extended periods.
- Library staff regularly monitor the building and remove personal items left unattended. These are kept at the InfoDesk for one month and then sent to the Housing Office as Lost Property.
- You are liable for any items borrowed on your ID card. You must not allow anyone else to use your ID card to borrow materials.
- Handle Library books, equipment and other materials with care and respect. Library items should not be written on, defaced, tempered with or torn.
- Running is not permitted in the building. Sporting items including skateboards are forbidden in the building.
In cases of inappropriate behavior, offenders must present ID card to Library staff and University Security upon request. Situations that endanger individuals or others will be treated extremely seriously.
Complaints should be lodged at the InfoDesk during Library business hours and/or with Security [Emergency - 911; Non-emergency - 922] and/or with firstname.lastname@example.org
Appropriate action will be taken by the Library Administration and University Security against any users who do not follow these rules. Escalation processes will see offenders forbidden from the facility.